Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Day 14 - June 12, 2018, Cannon Beach, OR



Day 14, June 12, 2018
Portland, OR – Astoria, OR – Cannon Beach, OR
127 miles/3 hours

We were all slow to rise this morning and momma had some work to do. Believe it or not, I’m still working on this trip (although not full time), and it can get crazy with internet access in the boonies and the three-hour time distance. As a result, we didn’t leave Portland until late morning.

Our only stop of the day was the Lewis & Clark National Historical Site, in Astoria. Little known fact, the original Kindergarten Cop was filmed in Astoria. A little movie trivia for you. How do I know this? Well, I love that scene where Arnold and the kids give the Gettysburg Address, on the grass with the water in the background. It was so breathtaking, I had to know where that little town was and did some research (years ago). Sadly, we were not blessed with such a pretty day today. Still, Astoria looked cool from the vantage point of Fort Clatsop, where Lewis and Clark spent the winter, after finally reaching the Pacific in 1805.

As is the case with most historical sites, the Fort was quite small. Blink and you miss it. But we did get to view a movie about their almost three-year journey to the west coast. I found it fascinating, as did Cammy. Hunter told me it was boring, and Audrey and Barrett fell asleep. I try people, I try!

Then we headed to Cannon Beach and I fell in love. I love a beach town, even in the cold rain. It’s so cute here, very New England-like, and we’re slowing down. We get to stay two days and we’re going to relax. The kids checked out the beach, which is home to Haystack Rock (see pics below). All the beach photo credits go to Audrey. She took some extraordinary pictures. We took a nice walk to explore the village and then had dinner and ice-cream. It’s now 8:30. Boys are all in bed, Audrey is watching America’s Got Talent, and I’m wrapping this up. Bedtime for momma, as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment