Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Friday, June 15, 2018

Day 13 - June 11, 2018, Portland, OR



Day 13, June 11, 2018
Seattle, WA – Portland, OR
177 miles/3 hours

It was very hard to leave Seattle this morning. I hate goodbyes! Especially in the rain. But we’re hoping to see the Chamblins again soon. Ugh…..

On our way to Portland, we stopped in Olympia to see the state capitol, of course. It was sunnier in Olympia than it had been in Seattle, and the grounds were very pretty. The capitol building is traditional, so I didn’t really have any aha moments, but everyone we encountered was very nice. 
Downtown Olympia is cute, but we didn’t stop because we’d had a late breakfast, and no one was hungry.

On to Portland it was…

Portland is really cool. We’re staying right downtown, and I took a walk and really enjoyed the feel of the city It’s definitely more of a residential city than Atlanta (although, aren’t they all?). Lots of cool condos and beautiful town homes, which you can tell are expensive. I saw many fancy dancy cars. Portland is an artsy city, with sidewalk musicians on every block, many galleries, and some funky health food, which I love. The kiddos spotted a Subway (restaurant). Oh well, guess you know what they had for dinner. 

I did my research before the road trip, so I’d know which bookstores I wanted to visit. Portland is home to Powell Books – the biggest bookstore in the United Stated. When I walked in, they handed me a MAP (and then I heard the angels sing). It was sooooo big. Four stories, and multiple rooms, all named after a color. It was almost (but not quite) too much. I was overwhelmed, until I put my map skills to the test. I won’t bore you with the rest of the story, but it ended with me gushing to the checkout guys about how thrilled I was.

By the way, I’m now officially in the 48 club! I’m been to all 48 states, by car, stayed at least 24 hours in a row in all of them, ate at least two meals, and did something touristy in each. Woot-woot! My children only have California to go.










No comments:

Post a Comment