Vancouver, BC – Seattle, WA
?? miles/4 hours.
Today’s journey was wicked cool. Would you believe I have
never been on a real train before? I’m talking Amtrak – city to city. We were
all so excited (well, except for maybe Hunter – but nothing excites him
anymore). The early departure didn’t even dampen my spirits – plus I (of
course) slept for part of the journey.
We were in the first train car, business class, and were
sitting close together. Hunter and Audrey went to the dining car to get snacks
and we all settled in for a relaxing ride. It didn’t start off on the best
note. Barrett ate his hamburger super-fast and in no time, he threw it up.
Luckily, I have quick reflexes and I caught it in my hands. Yes, you read that
right. Bear and I cleaned ourselves up in the restroom and then relaxed for the
remainder of the trip. Seriously. I think he just ate fast, because he was
sooooooooooooooooooooo happy. Bear has loved trains since he was a little boy.
He kept saying, “Best day ever!” and “So, cool!” He loved the train whistle and
looked out the windows the whole time. I only wish it had been a sunny day. It
was very pretty, but I’m sure blue skies would have blown us away.
We arrived at the King Street Station around 11 A.M. We
gather our luggage and cabbed it back to our car. Then we set out (mostly) on
foot to tour the Emerald City. First stop was the waterfront, where we had a
delicious lunch at Elliott’s. After that we headed over to Pike Market. We
explored the market, where Audrey put her gum on the gum wall (gross), the boys
enjoyed the fisherman playing catch with their fish (for real). I bought some
pretty flowers for Auntie Shell and browsed a bookstore. No purchases though –
it was a communist bookstore. Then we all went to our Mecca – the original
Starbucks! Fun!
Our last stop was the Space Needle. Bummer again for the weather.
Very overcast. I also experienced vertigo and felt like I was going to throw
up. Michele later explained that I was probably experiencing altitude sickness.
Plausible, as I’m pretty sure I had that when we were in Colorado a few years
ago. Anyway, we got our pictures and then headed home to the Chamblins.
Once again, they spoiled us rotten. We had yet another
delicious meal, and lots of bonding. I love them!
Seattle:
Aud at the Gum Wall
The kiddos in front of the original Starbucks.
At the top of the Space Needle:




















No comments:
Post a Comment