Day 14 – July 10,
2013
Sedona, AZ
Scottsdale, AZ
140 miles/2 hours 15
minutes
Temperature – 101 degrees
The Camel Back Inn,
baby! Suite 106
Okay – I woke up with a new attitude. Time to get the train back on the rails! We loaded up and hit the road about
7:30ish. We took a drive through Red
Rock State Park and then headed south to Montezuma’s Castle. I thought we should at least pay homage to
his castle, since we experienced the wrath of his revenge. Rich kept insisting that Montezuma had
nothing to do with Arizona, and of course he was right. The castle was erroneously named, by who I do
not know, but the last of the Sinagua Indians abandoned the area 100 years
before Montezuma was even born!
Regardless, it was a pretty cool sight.
Then we headed back to the Phoenix area, specifically Scottsdale. We had lunch at Houston’s, but I was still
too nervous to feed Barrett or Camden. Hunter
and Audrey made gallant efforts, but neither one was able to finish their
lunch. No one got sick though, so that’s
progress!!!
Then we checked in at the Camelback Inn! This was sort of a pilgrimage for me. Growing up, one of the BEST family vacations I
had, was when we traveled to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon. My family stayed at the Camelback Inn for a week
and we had the best time!!! When I was pregnant
with the twins, I was out here on business and had lunch
at the hotel, all the while reminiscing, because I had so many great memories. I remember calling my dad and saying to him, “Guess
where I am?” I’ve wanted to share this experience
with my kids. The hotel’s motto is, “The
Place where time stands still.” How cool
is that?
We booked connecting rooms and got lucky, because one was ready (we were early). The room was awesome! Total southwest décor, clean and big. Rich worked and watched Bear, while I took
the kids to the pool. Then Rich and I
traded places. In the meantime the front
desk delivered the keys to the adjoining room, which turned out to not be adjoining. They gave the actual connecting room to someone else and gave
us the one on the other side, which was not connecting. Ugh! I panicked a little. This stay was booked using Marriott Rewards,
so I wasn’t sure what they’d do for us, since we were basically getting our
rooms for free. Well guess what? Our luck is changing! They upgraded us to a two bedroom suite! And it was located in the same building as
where I stayed with my family three decades ago – the suite right next door! Swear to God (yes I do realize it’s weird
that I remember this stuff). And we have
a direct view of Camelback Mountain! Boo-Ya!
The Cochrans arrived at 4:30.
Everyone hung out at the pool except Bear, Cammy and I. I used the "free time" to unpack and get situated. Then Jeff, Rich and I had the absolute best
dinner at the hotel’s restaurant, BLT.
It was fantastic. The boys were a
little too happy, if you know what I mean, so I bailed on them as soon as I finished
and went back to the room.
Finally, a good day.
This place has magic powers.
Quote of the day:
Hunter: As we were leaving Sedona, I asked the kids
if they just loved the mountains and the climate in Arizona. Hunter replied, “It’s pretty mom, but I’m an
east coast guy.” Alrighty then.
Camelback Mountain
Chillin
No comments:
Post a Comment