Day 12 – July 8, 2013
Grand Canyon – Sedona, AZ
126 miles/ 2 hours
Temperature 100
The Sedona Real, Room 224
We got up really early because let’s face it, as beautiful
as the canyon is, we wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. It was time to put some distance between us
and the foul smell of illness. We loaded
the car, said goodbye to the GC and finally got our family photo. We were southbound and down by 7a.m. Before leaving, Audrey tried to wake the Cochrans, but they weren’t up (they
called us about 8:30, wondering where we were).
Once we exited I40, it was through the mountains to get to
Sedona – and it was gorgeous!!!
Wow! Hairpin turns with jaw
dropping views everywhere. In no time,
we were on the main drag in Sedona, where Rich and I promptly fell in
love. Cute little shops, restaurants and
art galleries everywhere. The city
ordinances obviously have strict building codes, because everything had the
cool adobe/Arizona dessert vibe. Very
clean and very manicured. Even the
McDonald’s fell into line – the golden Arches were a tranquil green. We got to our hotel and the room wasn’t ready
– the curse of hitting the road early. I
got some maps from the Concierge and we began our exploration.
I was overly confident that everyone was on the mend. Our first stop was one of the four vortexes
that exist in Sedona. Sedona is the
unofficial capitol for the metaphysical/mystical/new age believers. I say, when
in Rome…so I wanted to climb to the top of a vortex and absorb the earth’s
positive heat energy, find my spiritual balance and reap the beneficial healing
powers that the vortexes supposedly possess.
Truthfully, my primary desire was to see if it would help Bear, but I
was also hopeful that the supposed healing powers would produce a full recovery
for all! Please universe, please.
This particular vortex was a tall mound of rocks, as opposed
to the mountainous size of the three others, so it was a totally doable climb –
even if I had to carry Cammy, while listening to Barrett moan and Audrey whine
about how she was scared of heights. I
was on a mission. Let me tell you, the
view was totally worth it! I was kind of
expecting a physical sign of this mystical vortex. Apparently you’re supposed to feel it, not
see it. We hung out for a few minutes,
but the chorus of complaints regarding the heat and the climb back down, did
little to help me achieve balance. So down
we went.
Then we drove over to the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which is
a Catholic church that's located on the side of a mountain. The chapel itself is very small, but it is
magnificent. Audrey and I knelt and said
our prayers, which were a little emotional.
We also lit candles for Edmund, Mimi & Karen.
After seeking peace in ways both metaphysical and traditional,
it was Rich’s turn to find balance. I
agreed to buy him lunch. That was when my
faith was once again tested. Camden had
to make two mad dashes to the restroom during lunch, to evacuate his
system. How he has anything left, I do
not know. Neither Hunter or Barrett ate
their lunch…
Finally, we were able to check in and it all went to Hell
- again. The three boys are down for the
count. Audrey hung out with her cousins
by the pool. I offered Cammy a drink of
water, which he wanted, but then he threw up, two seconds later. That’s it, I was officially freaked out. I loaded him in the car, along with Hunter, who
was sick again, and drove to the Urgent Care.
I described to the doctor the last three days of torture that all four
kids had experienced and he declared that they’d been hit by a vicious gastro-intestinal virus, which can often last for days. Wonderful.
Since Hunter wasn’t throwing up, the doctor said he’d just have to ride
it out. Given Cammy’s age, size and the frequency
of his vomiting, he gave me some anti-nausea medication and advised lots of
fluids. Oh - and he wished me luck.
Later in the evening, after Cammy and
Bear fell asleep, Hunter and Susannah watched over them, while I joined Jeff
and Rich for dinner next door. Audrey
opted to sleep with the Cochrans. Can’t
say I blame her.
Quotes of the Day:
According to Rich, it
was Allie: “Don’t do anything above your
pay grade.” What I jokingly said to
Rich, as he brought all the luggage from the hotel room, down to the car. I’m in charge of loading the car – I’ve got a
system !
Hunter, as we pulled
into Sedona: “Nice town, blue skies,
sunshine – now that’s my kind of day!”
No comments:
Post a Comment