Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 11 - July 7, 2013


Day 11 – July 7, 2103
The Grand Canyon

Temperature – a pleasant 86!

Well, I’m still manning the sick bay here at the GC.  Audrey has rebounded, but the three boys are still feeling rough.  I feel horrible, they really only saw the canyon for 2 minutes! 
The Cochran Clan went off on a walk in the morning.  Rich hung with me for a while, but then he needed some air and  went for a hike.  When he came back, Hunter was well enough to eat (or so we thought) and Rich took him for a bite.  Poor kid paid for it later.

Then it was my turn for fresh air.  I opted to take the trail into the canyon, since that’s always been on my bucket list.  I was going down, down, down, which I naively thought that was okay.  I was lost in thoughts and the views and kept going.  Then I noticed the people I passed, who were on their way back up, didn’t look so good.  Glancing at my watch, I realized I’d been gone for almost an hour and turned around.  I’d taken a Five Hour Energy thing that Jan gave me because I was exhausted from being Florence Nightingale.  Well, shortly into my assent, my heart was racing and I was out of breath.  The trail was seriously STEEP.  I was somewhat nervous, to be honest, because I was running low on water.  At one point I was shaky and a little dizzy, so I sat down.  Something came over me.  I was feeling sorry for myself, because the hike was harder than I thought.  I’m mad that I’m getting old.  I also had an emotional Eat Pray Love moment about my brother, which I won’t dare get into - TMI.  As these thoughts consumed me, I could see a big rain storm move in (which was beautiful).    Then there was lightening, which was apropos.  Time to get moving!

It took me just over an hour to get back up.  I was exhausted.  So very tired.  Phew.  I was happy to discover, up on my return, that Audrey was up and out with her cousins.  I took a shower and got ready, for what I didn’t know, because Cammy and Bear didn’t look good.  Jan & Jeff took Audrey with them for a sunset tour of the canyon (by bus). 
Hunter was feeling much better.  Thank goodness.  So Rich and I took a walk to the El Tovar for a drink and some appetizers.  Then we sat on the rim wall to just awe at the vista.  It really is astounding.  The peaks in the distance, with their muted colors, looked like a painted backdrop to the striking vividness of the peaks and valley that were close to us.  If you stare at it long enough, the canyon almost becomes a mirage.  The walls of the canyon, textured with the different layers and crevices and dotted with trees, almost look like a city on a hill.  All you need is twinkling lights.

We encountered a number of elk on the Lodge’s lawn when we returned.  I relieved Hunter so he could explore with Rich.  Then the Cochrans returned and we all gathered on the “veranda” (the hallway outside our adjoining rooms).  The events of the last two days caught up for me and my bed was soon calling.  I took the children with me and Rich joined me, after Jan and Jeff decided to go for a drink at the El Tovar.  A nice ending to the Grand Canyon Adventure.  Praying for a full recovery for everyone tomorrow!
Quote of the Day:

Rich:  "Sorry honey, they need me in Kentucky, they just called.  It's an emergency, I'm even willing to get back on a propeller plane, to get there."  Ha, Ha!  He was desperate to escape!

 
In my Haz-met Suit
 
 
Sick Babies



 
 
The healthy family
 

 
Hike views


 
The rain moving - awesome!

 
The elk

 
Late night party on the veranda!

No comments:

Post a Comment