Day 34 – July 1, 2012
Des Moines, IA/Springfield, IL
345 miles, 5 ½ hours
We had a very full day! Lots of Presidential history! I truly hope I don’t bore you.
I got up early and ordered a pot of coffee and packed up…before waking the kids. We were on the road, out of Des Moines, at just past 8a.m. Downtown was quiet, and I found myself a little sad to be leaving. It was really nice there. I could totally live there – I’m serious.
About 2 hours east of Des Moines, we stopped at the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library, National Historic Site & his grave site. Honestly, I didn’t know very much about Hoover, but he seems like a nice enough chap (I’m listening to a British author on audio – and can’t get the accent out of my head….can’t wait to try that one out of Rich!). I think the poor guy was just unlucky enough to be president during the Great Crash and the early years of the Great Depression. He certainly seemed smart and very well educated. But then again, as the Clinton Library proved….they’re going to make themselves look good in their own library!
We were practically the only ones there, which was good. Although ironically, Barrett was exceptionally well behaved – in the library. Then we ventured over to the house (really a ROOM…it was a 1 ½ room house!) where Hoover was born. When I walked in (behind the children), I discovered Barrett sprawled on a day bed (not really a day bed, but a close description), drinking a bottle of water! Fortunately, the Park Ranger’s back was turned, as he was talking to someone else. I grabbed Barrett a hauled him out on the front lawn. Good Lord! When I got back, Audrey was talking to the ranger, with her hands behind her back, batting her eyes…asking if she “could sit on that”, pointing to the furniture I’d just extricated her brother from. The Ranger was appalled, “Oh no sweetie, that’s over a hundred and fifty years old!”. She glanced at me, with a mischievous twinkle and started giggling, before fleeing the house. She’s unbelievable.
Next, the grave site. It was so quiet, almost serene…there in the middle of Iowa. Then I thought of the hoopla which always surrounds JFK’s grave – or Elvis’s, for that matter!
Back in the car….for another three hours….with very few complaints. They went easy on me today. We arrived in Springfield, a little before 3. First stop was the Lincoln Museum.
Best museum….it was awesome and the kids loved it. And...considering some of the amazing artifacts, the staff was incredibly laid back! The Chicago Art Institute could take some lessons. In a section of the museum called “Special Treasures” (an understatement) we saw one of five ORIGINAL copies of the Gettysburg Address…in Lincoln's handwriting! There was the famous Ax he demonstrated his strength with, at 57. There was a toy canon of Willie Lincoln’s that is featured in a famous painting of the Lincoln family, at home in Springfield. Finally, there was the fan Mary Todd was holding when Lincoln was shot….with blood stains on it! I could go on & on.
The kids also did a treasure hunt, which was cool and really helped them actually learn some stuff.
Then we went to the Lincoln family home, where all the Lincoln children where born. Unfortunately, tickets were sold out. We did get there at the end of the day, but the Park Ranger said they sold out at noon! So we only got to see the exterior.
Then we went to both the Old State House (where Lincoln lay in State) and the modern day one (very, very nice). Finally we visited Lincoln’s Tomb, which is very grand…very much indeed. You have to be silent when you're there…signs everywhere and they enforce it, let me tell you. That wasn’t fun!
Tomorrow is our last "touring city”…Nashville. It’s a long drive, though…so I may have to bribe the chickadees with something. After that – “the grandparents-es” house….the kids are so excited. Hope G-mom & G-dad are ready!
Hoover's Library was the first official Presidential Library
Me, in front of a replica of Hoover's suite at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC...his unofficial "office" post-Presidancy.
Hoover's birthplace
The Hoover Gravesite
The kids, in an Iowa cornfield
Illinois, here we come.
The kids and the Lincoln Family
Replica of the log cabin
The OLD Illinois Statehouse
The Lincoln Family Home in Springfield
Illinois State Capitol
Poor Lincoln
Lincoln's Tomb
No comments:
Post a Comment