Days 37 & 38
July 4th & 5th, 2012
Rose Hill, VA
Happy (belated) Fourth of July everyone! We had a relatively quiet 4th. We spent the morning visiting with Rich’s Mamaw and his Uncle Stan. The kids picked blackberries, determined to get enough for a pie! We’re in the mountainsJ now.
For the rest of the afternoon, the kids were in and out of the pool and everyone found their own personal entertainment/relaxation. I read for a while and planned a picnic with Camden (for the next day…he wanted a “date”).
We had a surprise visit from Rich’s cousin Jenna, with her new baby (3 weeks old) and Gabe, her 2 year old. My crew played with Gabe while I got a wonderful, much appreciated, baby fix! I love me some baby time.
We had a great dinner, but while I was tucking the kids in, the reminded me, wistfully, that it was the 4th of July…where were the fireworks? I felt so bad. We didn’t actually forget, but it was definitely a nontraditional 4th.
So Rich, Uncle Lance and I loaded the kids on the 4-wheeler and drove up to a higher perch on the farm, to watch Fireworks. It was a bid dud….couldn’t see anything. Not even sure if there was anything to see.
Everyone went to bed, except me. I had a book to finish. It was a page turner! Mary Kay Andrews Spring Fever. Loved it. Anyway….trying desperately to see how things would wrap up, and the clock said 12:20a.m. and that is the last thing I remember, until…
“Allie?”…mom’s gentle voice woke me at 6:40 A.M.! We were going to take Zoe, their dog, to Kingsport, TN, for her grooming appointment and get our nails done. Mom & Dad are hosting a big family reunion on Saturday, so she also had a bunch of stuff to buy. So the plan was for me to take Zoe home when she was finished, while mom hung back and shopped.
Long drive, but worth it to get my hands and feet rubbed for five minutes. I successfully managed to get Zoe in the car and we headed home. When I got there…everyone but dad was gone. So I did what any sensible person would do….took me a nice long napJ!!!!!!!
As I type this, we are all finally under one roof, but we’ve experienced a huge, wicked mountain storm. We are one hour and counting with no power. Mom has a car load of perishable groceries, so it might be an interesting night. My kids are going nuts….no power and no possibility of swimming…if things don’t improve, we may have to bail earlyL
***Update. Okay…now it’s been five hours with no power or water (they’re on a well)…tensions are rising…oh boy! Not sure what tomorrow will bring.
No pictures...limited batery and can't find my camera in the dark!
No comments:
Post a Comment