Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Friday, June 8, 2018

Day 6 - June 4, 2018, Spokane, WA


Day 6 - June 4, 2018

Whitefish, MT – Glacier National Park – Spokane, WA    

315 miles/5 hours.

Today was one of those days when we had to be very flexible and go with the flow. Also, we were very lucky that our hosts at the Kandahar Lodge were willing to be flexible with us, because we shook things up. In reviewing my itinerary, map, and time table, I decided that there was a strong possibility that we may need to adjust our schedule. Unfortunately, the long winter worked in our favor. Let me explain…

Glacier National Park has LONG been on my bucket list. I was so excited to visit. I should have taken the very overcast (and chilly) day as an omen. The park is only about 30 minutes away from where we were staying, and an easy drive. However, upon arrival we discovered that the park is undergoing some serious road construction. We kept getting rerouted and my NPS map wasn't any help. We eventually found our way Lake MacDonald and it was super pretty. Even though the skies were gray, we could sometimes see how aquamarine the water would be in full sunshine. The rocks in the lake were all different colors too, which was cool. Guys – that was kind of the highlight. After we left the lake, we soon encountered “Road Closed” signs. Turns out they were still plowing the roads! The park ranger told me that the snow was 13-16 feet deep in many areas of the park. We could get out and hike the road, but it was all uphill to Logan's Pass and we were really not prepared for a snowy mountain hike. UGH. A planning fail on my part.

But we did receive one sweet gift. On our way out of the park we ran into three bears! I was very grateful we were in the car, because I didn’t splurge on Bear Spray. My pictures aren’t that great, because I was shocked, By the time I grabbed my phone they were headed back into the woods.

So, our change in plans is that we didn’t go back to Whitefish and instead hit the road to Seattle, to make tomorrow’s drive a lot easier. We ended up spending the night in Spokane,WA, at a swanky Marriott that was able to accommodate us at the last minute for minimal $$$. We even scored a corner room and I got in a long workout (I know, who cares).













No comments:

Post a Comment