Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Day 3 - Deadwood, SD, June 1, 2018



Day 3, June 1, 2018

Omaha, NE – Deadwood, SD      

563 miles/8 ½ hours.

Another long day and a certain someone is getting quite cranky (you’ll see below). We drove north from Omaha to Sioux Falls and then hung a left to cross South Dakota. SD is a very, very pretty state – and the speed limit is 80 MPH, thank goodness. Listening to my audio book, I quite enjoyed the drive and the view, but I’m sure for those in the back it was tough, because there’s pretty much nothing going between Sioux Falls and Rapid City. All along the highway there are hundreds of billboards for Wall Drugstore. It’s a rather famous tourist trap, and I forget the origins, or I’d share it. I did all the research back when we were out here in 2015, but at the time Rich wouldn’t stop – citing, “tourist trap.” I love a good tourist trap though and decided to take the kids. Hunter was MOST displeased and threw his first fit of the road trip. We left him in the car as we explored (Grandmom he is 17 and six months away from being a legal adult – and I left the air on).

Wall Drugs, well it’s most definitely a tourist trap, and we can officially check it off our list. Camden loved it, because they had all these carved wooden guns and he suckered me into buying him one.
We stayed in Deadwood for the night. Since we explored the town in 2015, it was really just a pit stop. We had a fairly decent dinner at Legends steak house. The only problem was that they didn’t have a burger on the menu and therefore the restaurant didn’t “suit” Hunter. Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy.

We walked around a little bit and it was an extremely interesting crowd. Total Trump Country, complete with some foul t-shirts (see below). Hunter and I got into a disagreement because I wouldn’t let him buy one. I should have purchased one for Ben T, but I just couldn’t contribute to the madness. I’m confident that Ben AND Hunter are smart enough that one day they will come to their senses.

Did I mention the crowd in Deadwood? I’m not judging, but I can assure you that I was judged over and over. More people were staring at us than vice versa – especially that woman who lost the t-shirt sale!







No comments:

Post a Comment