Day 6 – June 3, 2012
Rehoboth Beach, DE/Cape May, NJ/Ashbury Park, NJ
85 minutes by Ferry & 2hours by car/126 miles
We got up really early, because I wasn’t sure what it would be like getting my car onto a ferryJ. (Turns out to be an easy task). We had breakfast at the world’s slowest Starbucks, evah, and then got to The Lewes Ferry Dock before 9. Since we were so early, we were on the 9:15 ferry, and it wasn’t crowded. It was easy to literary just drive on, park the car, and find a table (so we could play Uno). About 10 minutes into the trip – I felt queasy…I don’t know what has happened to me in the last decade – but I get motion sickness very easily. So I dragged the kids on deck – they were too cold, so they dragged me inside, I was gonna hurl, so we went back outside…and repeated the cycle & before you know it – we were in New Jersey!
We drove to the beach in Cape May to try and see the lighthouse - but it was far away (you can barely see it in the pictures). Then we drove along the beach road and I was very impressed. So clean and cute and the houses…omg…HUGE. I kind of have an arrogant view of beach towns, after growing up on Cape Cod and then Naples…but there are a lot of pretty beach towns in this country.
We found the Ugly Mug Salon and ate lunch. I used to work with a bunch of guys (in Lauderdale at Shooters/Pier 66) who were from Cape May and Wildwood and they told wild stories about the place…finally made it. Problem was, it was noon, on a Sunday and I was towing four kids! Needless to say, it didn’t have the vibe that had been described to me years agoJ.
We shopped a little and then headed north. The plan was to stay just outside Atlantic City and then walk the boards…but I had a funny feeling when I pulled up to our hotel. A little scary. Thank God for smart phones….ten minutes later I had a new ressie and was heading north to Ashbury Park. We’re at a Residence Inn and it is awesome. The people are so nice! They have a laundry room (coin laundry), so I got to do some housekeeping chores…although the task was not without folly. It’s been 20 years since I did laundry that way and I had to make multiple trips to the front desk for help – both due to human error and mechanical malfunctions.
After laundry and swimming we head to Ashbury Park. I can’t quite explain what I expected, but it certainly wasn’t what I found. Let’s just say it was very interesting…. It was rainy too, so it added to the gloom. I found the Stone Pony, where Jon Bon Jovi got his startJ, but there was a huge rainbow flag waving in front and lots of cop cars. Something was going down.
We drove through McDonalds and headed back to our temporary crib. TNT movies tonight (Mathew Machoney night).
The Cape May Lighthouse
Big Beach Mansions
Par-tay...not.
Strolling in Cape May
Ashbury Park, in the rain.

Beautiful pictures!!! I chuckled envisioning you trying to work that washer/dryer. ;o)
ReplyDelete