Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Zion and a Bus Beating...

Day 16 – July 14, 2016
Bryce Canyon, UT – Zion National Park – St. George, UT
135 miles – 2  ½ hours
113 degrees!

Today was much better than yesterday, although Hunter is about to be shipped home. Barb & Marcie, if you’re reading this, please reserve a spot for him next summer. Two weeks in the laundry room and two week at the cement factory. Cause I ain’t putting up with this next summer.

We had a short little hop from Bryce Canyon to Zion National Park. Remember what I wrote yesterday about not being able to pick my favorite? No longer a problem – Zion National Park is it. It’s gorgeous. We entered from the east gate and drove for twelve miles to get to the park’s Visitor Center. It was the most spectacular 12 mile drive I’ve ever taken. Up and down and around all kinds of crazy turns – and through an incredibly dark (and spooky tunnel).

At the visitor center I discovered that to see the rest of the park, you have to ride a shuttle. That was a buzz kill. It was getting very hot and I couldn’t image riding a bus with the kids and getting on and off at multiple stops. But that is what we did. It was worth it, but I think we would've seen more from our own car (the park stopped letting cars past a certain point in 1999, due to the increase in the number of visitors that led to major traffic jams).

Funny bus story. The bus was very crowded, and we ended up having to ride standing up. I was worried about Barrett, but showed him how to hang on. We were standing by a man who was in a wheelchair. His wife had understandably made a big deal about getting him on safe, and we all waited outside in the sun, while he and the wheelchair were secured. Anyway, we’re riding along and I hear Barrett make a noise, kind of like a snicker. I looked behind me and the man in the wheelchair was hitting Barrett on the hip with his water battle – on purpose. Barrett had a smirk on his face, and the guy kept hitting him. I was shocked. The guys says, “Move it.” I realized Bear’s hip was bumping the man’s shoulder – but the guy behind Barrett was pushing him into the wheelchair man, because he was wearing an enormous backpack. No to be fair, the wheelchair man may have tried to say something to Bear, and was obviously ignored. Still, he decided to hit him with a water bottle? So…I may have gone all autism mom on him. In a voice that was not very nice I said, “Excuse me. Please do not hit my son. He does not mean to bump not you. He has autism and therefor has special needs just like you!” Well, I shocked him, that’s for sure. Then I switched places with Barrett. Then the man asked me if he (Bear) has a handicap pass for the park. Not sure if he didn’t believe me, or was trying to be helpful. I told him that he did, and then turned my back on him. A few minutes later his wife offered her seat to Barrett and I felt bad for being snippy. I thanked her, but said Barrett would be fine standing. And he was.

In a different area of the bus, as reported to me by Audrey, a “creepy” looking woman with dark red lipstick (Aud’s description) asked Camden if he wanted to sit on her lap. Camden told her “No thank you,” and took a few steps back. Yikes!

We had fun (the exception being Hunter). Audrey, Cam and Bear all took their shoes off at the end of the shuttle and splashed in the Virgin River (I kid you not).

After the park, we drove one hour to St. George, Utah, where we stayed for the night. We had dinner at Olive Garden (please help me!), and re-supplied at Target.

Camden Quote of the Day:

Audrey was telling a riddle to two men on the bus. I can’t share it, because I’m sure she will want to tell it to each and every one of you herself. The guy fell for the trick, and Camden was completely tickled. Laughing, he said to the man. “You fell for the oldest trick in the book!”










I think Bear is over all this...


Aud's not happy, Cammy was beating her.




No comments:

Post a Comment