Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Double National Park Day

Day 12 – July 10, 2016
Grand Junction, CO – Moab, UT
285 miles -  3 1/3 hours

We left Colorado today, which was sad. Now we explore Utah! It’s the #44th state for my little road warriors. Getting closer to the big 5-0!

Utah, at least the eastern part of the state, is very desolate. The topography is almost scary (see pictures). The further we drove, the hotter it got. At one point it was 101 degrees – although very dry heat. Our first stop was Canyon Lands National Park. The park is massive (over 300,000 acres) and has two entrances. We entered through the Island in the Sky entrance and were able to drive through the whole northern section of the park in a couple of hours. And we did some hiking, too. The canyons are reminiscent of the Grand Canyon, but not as vast or as deep.  Geologists believe that the area was once flat, but due to volcanic activity and the flow of the Colorado and Green Rivers over the soft sedimentary rock, the canyons were formed. It’s a site to be had, for sure. We hiked along the rim rock trail at the Grand View Overlook and had to walk down some stairs to get to the trail. Audrey commented that the stairs had to be manmade, and Cammy countered that, “No God made this park and these stairs.” He really drank the Kool-aide this year at faith formation. Audrey’s snarky reply, “I love God too Camden, but please, look at how perfectly these steps are shaped into a rectangle. That is the work of a stone carver.”

Our second park was Arches National Park, just twenty miles up the road. Where as in Canyon Lands we spent our time looking down, in Arches most of our time was spent looking up. There are over 2000 sandstone arches in the park. The explanation of their creation is long and involved. (Obviously) it happened over millions of years and involved volcanic activity (again!), salt beds, erosion, and some fierce winds. I can attest to the wind. It was really whipping while we were in the park and the sand hits your skin like a hard rain. It stings a little. Because we had sunblock on, the sand stuck to our skin and formed a crust.

We hiked to two of the more famous arches and I have to tell you – it was hot. But I’m very proud of my crew, who for the most part did it without too much whining. Barrett rallied today. I think he wanted to redeem himself for the Sand Dunes hike, because he was hot on my heels for most of the time.

We spent the night in Moab, a little town that obviously exists only to house and entertain visitors to these two park. (I’m in no hurry to go back.)

I’ve been slack on my quotes! Here are some good ones I wrote in my journal:

Cammy:

“This is how you be a pig. Get naked, drink chocolate milk, and watch TV…” And yep, that’s what he did.

His response when I told him to calm down and sit properly in his chair at lunch. I'm sorry, I'm trying to keep it together. Sometimes when I'm hungry I see things as food that aren't food. It’s a problem.”

Mom, can I please show Hunter the karaoke machine?” - It was a juke box.


The kids all saw that the hotel snack shop had Pop Tarts and wanted to buy some. I refused – Pop Tarts! But they all have a stash of spending money (thanks to Aunt Kelly) and argued that they would buy it themselves. I told them they could buy something – but not Pop Tarts. Cammy shrugged his shoulders and said, “Well there’s not hurt in looking at them.”





Heading to Utah.


Scary looking mountains.


















No comments:

Post a Comment