June 25, 2015 - Day 23
75 Miles – all in Yellowstone National Park
Grey Wolf Inn
We got a bit of a late start today, but it was more of the
same. Beauty all around. The highlight of the day was seeing Old Faithful,
which was a bucket list item for Rich. We sat for an hour and a half, waiting
for the geyser to blow. I must admit, it was worth it. We also continued our Yellowstone
Park license plate game, and by the time we left the park, we’d spotted 46
different states. It was kind of cool to see how money people, near and far, drive to experience Yellowstone.
We put in another five hours of exploration and then called
it a day. It was sad to say goodbye to the park, but even I was done with
driving around, parking, getting out, walking around, taking pictures, climbing
back into the car, and doing it all over again. Also, it was disappointing to discover how
many rude people there are in this world. I smiled and greeted hundreds of
strangers who just looked back at me, with no response and nary a smile. Rich
wondered if it was because there are so many foreigners visiting. But isn’t a
smile an international greeting?
I must confess, I am exhausted and very down about it. At
the end of each of our days in Yellowstone, all I wanted to do was lay down,
which is quite scary for me. I’ve been going to bed early, but waking up
multiple times throughout the night. I saw a sign in West Yellowstone, listing
the elevation as 7000 feet. It made me think that perhaps the altitude is
getting to me. I vaguely remember my parents complaining about it during the
summer we spent two weeks in Colorado, but Edmund and I never felt any effects.
Or maybe I’m just getting…you know the word, but I can’t type it. Nope, I’m
going with altitude sickness.
Tomorrow we head west, to Idaho Falls, our furthest point
west. Then we turn around and make the trek home – with a few stops along the
way!











No comments:
Post a Comment