June 21, 2015 – Day 19
Medora. ND – Billings, MT
294 miles/4.25 hours
SpringHill Suites Billings
Happy Father’s Day! Aud got up early to take her dad to the
hotel dining room for breakfast – while I was left to the task of waking up the
boys. Cammy was the easiest, but the other two growled at me. Hunter’s mood
improved when I told him he didn’t have to run. According to his coach, Sunday’s
are a day of rest. Rich wanted to hit the road early, so we pulled out at 7:30
a.m. We’re heading west.
As soon as we crossed the Montana border, the landscape changed.
It was certainly pretty, but eastern Montana looks a little rougher that North
Dakota. It’s not as lush and the colors are somewhat muted. Very rocky terrain,
with sage brush. Barren in appearance. There were a few mountains, but not as
majestic as I’d imagined. We stopped at a Walmart in a very small town, because
Rich needed a computer monitor, and he also bought Dumb and Dumber 2 to watch with the kids. Then he climbed in back
and left the driving to me. It was Father’s Day, after all. Only problem –
there was lots of laughing and cackling going on back there. It grated on my
nerves and made it very difficult to listen to my audio book.
We got to Billings early and almost weren’t able to check
in, but they found some rooms for us. The kids wanted to swim and Rich decided
to join them. He sent me to the mall, because I left my hanging bag in Canada,
with all my dresses and blouses, and I have nothing “nice” to wear for when/if
we go out at night. It was tough goings at the Billings Mall, different styles
out here.
In what has become a road trip tradition – when not on the Cape
(Rich’s favorite place to celebrate Father’s Day) - we seem to end up at a
Texas Roadhouse. If you haven’t ever been to a Texas Roadhouse on Father’s Day,
you’re missing something. It is quite a crowd. Fascinating people watching. But
our dinner was excellent and half the price of the place we ate in Canada.
It was a boring day, nothing exciting to report and not much
to see in Billings. I forget why I wanted to come here…
Quote of the Day:
Barrett, Cammy and I hung back at the restaurant to pay the dinner
bill, while Rich went on ahead with Frick and Frack (our hotel was next door).
Cammy was going on about when he goes to college and how he’ll need me to buy
him some stuff for his room (why he’s thinking about this, I do not know). Then
he made a comment about “When Barrett gets out of autism and goes to college…” Uh-oh,
backup Buddy. I had to gently explain that that probably wasn’t going to
happen.
Cammy: “Well, that’s going to be awkward.”
Me: “Why’s that?”
Cammy: “Well, you know how I plan to marry you when I grow
up? You’ll still be my mom, but then you’ll be my wife, which means that
Barrett will be my brother - and my son! That’s just an awkward family.”
I couldn’t stop laughing, I had snot coming out of my nose.
****We’re head to Yellowstone, which means long active days –
and from what I hear, sketchy internet. If you don’t hear from me for a couple days,
that’s why. I’ll catch up when we get back to civilization:)- A.K.A Idaho.
Dad with his babes.
Love this picture.






That is freaking hysterical! Awkward family indeed
ReplyDelete