June 23, 2015 – Day 21
Bozeman, MT – Gardiner, MT – Yellowstone NP
80 miles, then 60 miles driving around in the park!
Best Western Mammoth Hot Springs, Rm 224
Happy Birthday Daddy! We celebrated with a little Starbucks
this morning. It’s the little things, right? We were on the road early – on our
way to the destination highlight of our trip – Yellowstone National Park.
Excitement all around. Okay, seriously, only Mom & Dad were excited. I
don’t get it.
It was another pretty (and short!) drive and then we
were in front of the Theodore Roosevelt Arch, which was the original entrance
to the park (north entrance). Unfortunately, we were detoured due to
construction, and I didn’t get a good picture. Our first stop was the ranger station
at Mammoth Springs so I could get my bearings.
I won’t bore you with a play-by-play of the day, but we
hiked quite a bit and took a stagecoach ride. I don’t think I can adequately
describe the beauty of this park without sounding cheesy and over-the-top. I’ll
let my pictures do the talking.
Random personal observations of family life in the park:
Barrett likes to hike and is quite fast. He and I will do
well as fitness partners in the future. If I’m going to hike, I’m going to burn
some calories!
Cammy doesn’t like to hike, and whines about it. He’s gotten
too heavy for me to carry, so I basically drag him along, which thwarts my
workout - but what am I going to do?
Audrey can take the hikes, or leave them. She’ll complain about
it, but physically, she can finally hang. Her competitive nature overpowers her
laziness, because she’ll be damned if Hunter is going to beat her at anything.
Hunter and Audrey fight a lot. It can be a joy buster. They both
have to have the last word and therefore, it never ends.
Hunter has become a surly teenager. It’s sad. He seems
quite miserable spending time with us, and very underwhelmed by the scenery. I
think there’d have to be a racetrack in the park for him to be happy. We’re
doing our best to ignore his sullenness, but next year we may leave him at
home.
Rich is totally in his element. My nature guy gets so
excited when he sees wildlife. It’s kind of cute. He’s on a mission to see a
bear and said he’s not leaving until he does.
Speaking of bears, the park has hundreds of bears and they
have warnings everywhere. They also sell bear spray in the stores. Audrey is
freaked out. Rich suggested we get some – just
in case. Guess how much they charge for a can of bear spray (which I’m sure
doesn’t come with a guarantee)? $50!
I told Audrey we’d take our chances. Audrey was not too pleased. “You don’t think
my life is worth $50?” Uh-oh. I explained that no bear would get between me and
one of my babies. And now, I really hope we don’t run into bears.
We spent six hours in the park and only saw a small fraction of
it, so the next two days will be long. We checked into our hotel, and I had to
endure a litany of complaints about our accommodations. It seems they don’t
care for a Best Western. I should have made them sleep in the car. We’re in one room (a “junior
suite”), so you can only imagine. For our first night, we’re staying just outside the park, in
Gardiner, MT. I booked our rooms too late for us to get inside the park. Big
Mistake.
We took Rich out to dinner for his Birthday and our options
were limited in this little town of Gardiner. I apologized, but he didn’t care.
He got to spend his day in Yellowstone with his family, He said that it was the
best birthday ever!
Quotes of the Day (Cammy’s on a roll):
#1 - A gentleman saw Rich pushing our luggage cart, which
was expertly loaded, and he commented that Rich must have played Legos
when he was a kid.
Cammy: “Oh yeah, Legos
run in our family!”
#2 - Cammy was waxing poetic after Rich and Hunter said they
were going to get him a cinnamon roll for lunch, instead of a hotdog.
Cammy: “They replaced
my hotdog, and won my heart.”
#3 - Finally, when we were descending the terraces at
Mammoth Springs, I offered Audrey the rest of my water. She thanked me and said
she’d save it until we got to the bottom. Cammy was holding his water bottle,
which was more than half full.
Cammy: “I’m going to
die before I get to drink all of my water!” – He didn’t care for the uphill
climb.












No comments:
Post a Comment