Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Passing through Portland

Day 17 – June 16, 2014
Dennis Port, MA – Portland, ME
192 miles/3 hours


It was really tough to leave the Cape this morning, especially since the day was looking to be as nice as yesterday.  Rich had some work to do in the morning, so I packed and loaded the car and then took the kids to breakfast.  After we ate, I did a farewell tour of some of my favorite childhood sites.  The kids couldn’t have cared less.

On the way out, we had lunch in Barnstable and then hurried our pace, so we could get through Boston before rush hour.  Originally, before work issues, we’d planned to be in Portland in time to have lunch with my friend Lise’s father and stepmother.  We didn’t get to our hotel until 4 and I felt terrible about missing lunch.  There are so many people I want (and plan) to see on our trips and then it’s rush, rush, rush.  Anyway, Ron and Mary came to the hotel and hung out with us while the kids swam in the pool. 


Rich and I were pretty wiped out.  We had reservations down on the wharf, but seriously contemplated ordering room service.  Ultimately, we decided this may be our one and only time in Portland, so we’d better see the waterfront.  I’m glad we rallied, because downtown Portland is precious and our restaurant was actually a boat – and the food was great.  Also, the food gods were smiling down on us, because Barrett ate lobster!  His sensory issues often prevent him from trying new things.  But the best line of the night came from Rich, who delivered the lobster to Bear’s mouth (with a fork!), “Great, he likes lobster.  I’ve just tripled the cost of his long-term care!”  Yes, yes you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment