Day 22 – June 18, 2014
Bar Harbor, ME
Oh Lordy, there was a wicked thunderstorm last night that
woke me at 4 in the morning.
The rain was unreal and filled me with anxiety about our day to come –
in Acadia National Park. When we awoke
for real the rain had stopped, but it was grey and cold. No matter, we had a park to explore.
There were so many amazing vistas that I am humbled to even
attempt to describe them. By the time we
got to the summit of Cadillac Mountain, the skies had cleared and we were lucky
enough to really experience the majesty of the area. Below are just a few of the hundreds of
pictures that we took.
Sand Beach
Thunder Hole
The actual hole.
The summit of Cadillac Mountain.
I will share with you a very embarrassing blonde moment that
I experienced – the blonde being meL. When we got to Thunder Hole, which is a
lookout point in the park that takes you out over some rocks where the ocean
crashes in and travels into a hole in the rock, which makes a very loud sound –
like thunder. At this point in the day,
the grey skies were starting to break up, but it still looked very stormy over
the open sea. Audrey, Hunter and Rich
were climbing out over the rocks and I made the comment that they may want to
come in soon, because I heard thunder and I didn’t think we should hang out for
too long. It only took a few seconds for
me to process what I said, but by then it was too late. People were staring at me and Audrey and her
dad were all over it. I will not live
this one down for a long time.
Our public humiliation was not limited to me. Bear decided once again to urinate at the
beach. I froze, in complete shock. What the hell is up with this? Thank goodness for Hunter - who came to the rescue
and got him to face the woods and stood behind him, before we publicly
flogged.
After the park, we headed to the boat dock for a tour of the
bay. It was cool to see Bar Harbor and
all the boats from the vantage point of being in the water. Our guide filled us in on the history of the
town that is rich with Rockefellers, Vanderbilts, Pulitzers and
Astors. There was a horrible fire in
1947 that basically wiped out the town.
Many of the families who couldn’t rebuild with the same opulence they
had before the Great Depression and WWII donated their land to Acadia National
Park. The boat took us around the coast
to see the new homes that have been built since that time, many of them owned
by today’s titans of Wall Street and Hollywood celebrities. Oh, and he told quite a story about Martha Stewart,
who is not loved by locals. It was a
good one, too! She’s not nice.
We ventured out to Egg Rock and saw a bald eagle try to snap
a baby seagull from its mother and all seagull hell broke loose. Oh momma, don’t be messing with their
babies. We also saw many seals, which
the kids loved. We had so much fun on
the boat – all of us. I snapped many
great family pictures.
A bald eagle.
Egg Rock
They loved watching the seals!
We weren’t done yet.
We returned to Bar Harbor to eat on the water for the last time of our
road trip (unless we find something in Canada).
Another great dinner followed by a quick stroll through the local bookstore to look for a good book on the history of this town. I’m smitten.
After that we had
ice cream and played miniature golf. It
was an awesome day – one for the memory book, for sure.
I’m going off the grid for a couple days, as we explore the
Atlantic provinces of Canada. The phone
will be off, with means no Instagram posts.
I think I’ll still be able to use the internet at the hotel, without
taking out a second mortgage, so updates should continue.
I’m missing my friends!
I feel very out of touch with everyone.
It’s been hard to even make phone calls, because of the kids. Some of them have developed big ears and no
phone call – whether it be in the car or the hotel room, is private. I’ve also been bad about email – because
honestly, I’m wiped out at the end of the day and can barely muster the effort
for my travel log and downloading pictures.
Still, you are all on my mind and I can’t wait to catch up on what’s happening
in all your lives. I hope everyone is having
a good summer.




No comments:
Post a Comment