Day 4 – June 30,2013
Dallas – College Station – Austin, TX
223miles, 3 hours/110 miles, 2 ½ hours
Temperature, 100 degrees.SpringHill Suites Austin South, Room 309
Up and out without incident this morning, always a
blessing. Absolutely no traffic, another
blessing. Not much happening on the
Texas interstates and back roads on a scorching Sunday afternoon, at the end of
June. Lordy, it’s hot.
All the happenings were in the car and it wasn’t good. To be fair, my patience level is at an
all-time low. I’m good when we’re with other
people, but when we’re alone, I’m very short with the kids and I feel really
bad about it. I guess I still don’t have
my mojo back. Thankfully, Rich joins us
tomorrow and soon after that we’ll be with my cousin and his family, so that
will be a much needed distraction for all.
We got to George Bush’s (41) Presidential Library about
12:30, right after it opened. It was
mercifully cool and empty. I thoroughly
enjoyed the museum and found it to be tremendously more personal than 43’s. There’s a lot of information about the Bush
family, both George & Barbara’s family and siblings, as well as their
children. They had life-sized models of the Oval Office,
the family living quarters at teh White House, and office at Camp David, and the WHite House Situation Room. Pretty cool. There was also a room devoted to WWII (GHWB is a
war hero), and fthe tour inished with a memorial to the Gulf War. There was also a huge chunk of the Berlin
Wall. It was worth the side trip to
see. Also, the Texas A & M campus is
huge – the stadium is mammoth!
We did have one incident.
Barrett set off a security alarm in the museum, when he tried to exit
through a door clearly marked, in red, “No Exit”. I don’t know if it was the heat, or my
deflated mood, but I didn’t even flinch.
Hunter flew into protector mode, profusely apologizing to the first
security guard on the scene, and giving his stand, “My brother has autism,”
disclaimer. Honestly, I took it in
stride, but Audrey and Hunter were visibly embarrassed :( . Poor kids.
I was also extremely grateful that it didn’t happen yesterday, a W’s. I am certain we would have been escorted out.
Then we hit the road to Austin, for our layover on our way
to New Mexico. Our room wasn’t ready, at
4:30, and I was too tired to go do something else. So, we sat in the lobby with our luggage and
it worked like magic. “Mrs. Smith, your
room is ready.”
We also cleared the hotel pool (indoor – hot, loud) in five
minutes. Yes, some things are difficult,
but others are quite easy! We had a
quick dinner next door at the full service Marriott. Back at the room, baths and a Nick at Night
movie. BIG driving day tomorrow!
Quotes of the Day:
While watch Look Who’s Talking, Audrey and Hunter were trying to figure
out who John Travolta was – remember the movie came out in the mid 1980’s.
Aud: “Hunter, look at the dad, where do I know him from?”
Hunter: “I don’t
know, but man he looks like somebody.”
I chimed in about how in the world they would know who
Travolta was. They claimed they did. I threw out some movies, they shook their
heads, never taking their eyes off the screen.
Hunter: “I know! He’s the old fat dude from Old Dogs!”
Audrey studies the screen.
Shocked, she replies, “Noooo way!”
Poor Johnny T.
The Texas countryside
The George H. W. Bush Library
She sure does look comfortable!
No comments:
Post a Comment