Day 3 – June 29, 2013
Allen TX
Temperature 99 degrees
We woke up lazily…it was very quiet with just three of us
this morning. I think Bear was missing
Hunter, as I could NOT get him out of bed!
But eventually we did and made it to Barbie’s on time. We loaded up the kids and headed into the
city, to the G.W. Bush Library.
The library is beautiful!
Gorgeous. It even has a
restaurant – a first for us. Kind of a
bummer though, that we had to go through security that would rival the ATL
airport. Poor Georgie – people are still
after him. The place was packed. Crazy busy.
I couldn’t believe it. It was hard
to get to some of the displays. I won’t
bore you with a blow by blow, but some observations:
Very high tech. Lots
of interactive stuff.
Lots of video footage, which was cool. We got to walk THRU the oval office and sit at the desk! VERY cool.
Lots of focus on the White House and its staff, which I thought was very nice.
A video of the funny, silly Bushisms.
Lots of rude people all over the place – one lady seriously, not
accidently, pushed both Bear and Barbie out of her way – on two separate
occasions.
Lots of focus on policy, it needs more about Bush
pre-presidency and his family.
Needs more focus on the time period and what was going on in
the country during his time in office.
The 9-11 section took my breath away. The have a large part of the Trade Center and
a wall, similar to the Vietnam Memorial, with all the names of the
victims. It took me right back.
Well worth the money, time, heat and effort! Even though I was praising the Ford Library a
couple weeks ago – this was my favorite Library so far. I left with the warm fuzzies about W again. I didn’t think that was possible.
When we left, there was a big van parked next to Barbie’s
car, from some Church of Christ. Barbie
opened her van door and the kids all started piling in. Not a big deal, but apparently it was to the
woman driving the church van. She lost
her marbles. She was screaming at the
kids though the closed window. What she
was saying, I could not tell. I reacted immaturely,
but really thought her tirade was irrational.
I asked her if she was okay (to be fair, my tone was unpleasant). Her head snap back, and she replied, “Yes, I’m
fine.” Okay then, stop yelling at my
kids. It was ridiculous and not very
nice.
It was good prep for our next event – a hockey game. We grabbed a quick bite and then headed to
the ice rink to watch Bobby play. What a
rock star! The next GretzkyJ. We got to see him score four goals! His team won 5-1. It was fantastic. I walked out with him, and everyone’s like, “Great
game Bob!” “Way to go Bobby!” “Way to score, Bob!” It was like being with a rock star.Then we hung out at the house and the kids swam, before heading out for authentic Tex Mex. Food was great, Margaritas were great, company was great! Back to the hacienda for a night swim and grown up chit-chat with Barbie and Jeff – I love them, I miss them. Poor Barbie, I talked her ear off for two days, I couldn’t stop.
But very quickly, like a tornado, I felt that the Smith Storm brewing. Audie jumped up in the pool, under the waterfall, hitting the top of her head on a rock…big ole egg on her head. This was followed by drama, which triggered an internal mom debate about whether or not to go to the ER. She was working it, but Barbie deduced that she was fine, just enjoying my panic. Barbie was right. Grown-ups were having deep conversations, followed by over-sharing on my part. Then Barrett christened Bobby’s bathroom...literally. Very sorry for the TMI, but he bombed the place out. There was some collateral damage, involving urine, which resulted in Bear wearing Hunters PJs (too small) sans underwear. So we had to walk through the hotel lobby, in front of the Miss Texas wannabes…looking like the Clampetts! Time to buzz out of town! It was Great Allen, TX – till next time!
Quote of the day:
Camden, “Wow, this place glitters like it’s decorated with gold.” Cammy’s comment about the hotel lobby. Not sure if it’s the decorations, or the beauty
queens.
Bush 43 Library
In the Oval Office
Celebrating with Bobby
Dinner
Me & Babrie
The whole gang on the Ponderosa
Aud, post bump. She's fine - swear.
Bear, about to enter the hotel lobby.




No comments:
Post a Comment