Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 21 - July 17, 2013


Day 21 – July 17, 2013
St. Louis, MO – Indianapolis, IN

270 miles/ 4 hours 15 minutes
Temperature 93

Indianapolis Marriott East, room 417

Well, we left St. Louis in a blaze of shame.  Oh my.  We were packed up, showered and ready to leave by 9a.m.   It's become tradition that by the end of the road trip, I’m strapped for cash and looking for short (cheap) cuts.  This hotel cleverly held on to their bell carts.  To get a cart, you had to use a bellman.  Well the kids are growing up and certainly capable of carrying their own bags.  Since I once upon a time did work for the Bell Captain at the Ritz Carlton Naples, I do feel shame at my actions – I really do.  But by having that experience, I also know that at $2 a bag, I’d be sunk.
So my merry gang of luggage mules and I made it to the elevator with minimal whining.  As the doors were closing, we heard, “Hold the door please!”  Audrey did so and a pretty young lady entered the elevator.  Audrey asked her, “Are you sure you want to ride with us?”  We did have a lot of baggage, literally and figuratively.  The girl just giggled.  Big mistake momma.  Five seconds after the doors closed, Hunter let one rip, loudly!  Lord, please help me.

Yes, a repeat of Carlsbad.  Hunter giggled.  Audrey yelled “Hunter!”  Then Hunter declared, while laughing, “I am so embarrassed.”  Not as embarrassed as me, son.  He choked out, “Sorry ma’am, I just couldn’t hold it in!”  Audrey, always having to have the last word, rolled her eyes and commented, “Check that off his bucket list.”
Please, somebody, help me.

Then, weighed down with all our bags, we tried to regain some dignity and exit gracefully through a side door, so that the Smith Parade didn’t have to march through the lobby.  Well just picture the Three Stooges as we tried to get through double doors, which were heavy and not automatic.  There was a small alcove, about 3ft by 6 ft, with two doors exiting to the parking lot.  Again, heavy and manual.  Some of the children had rolling bags, some did.  Some of us were just carrying heavy bags.  It all just came unglued between the interior and exterior doors with bags falling, kids tripping, a loud chorus of whining and the hot eastern sun beating down us.  We were trapped in that small space, with the temperature at about 105 degrees.  It was disastrous.  I looked back to the lobby and saw a group of business men bent over laughing at us, yet the Calvary didn’t come to our rescue.  Nice.  I held the exterior door open with my bottom and started tossing bags out to the side walk (along with a few kids) and then we regrouped outside.
The trip to Indy should have been short, but there was lots of road construction.  We arrived at the Indianapolis Children’s Museum at 2p.m. ready to have fun, but mom fumbled the time zones, once again.  Apparently Indiana has decided to join the Eastern Standard Time Zone or observe Daylight Savings (not sure which) and I blew it.  The girl asked me (thankfully) if I was sure I wanted to spend X amount of money for one hour.

I did not. 
We’ll return in the a.m.

I drove to the hotel, spouting apologies the whole way.  The hotel turned out to be in a horrible area, but once I entered the hotel doors -Shangri-La.  Seriously.  Gorgeous hotel, with a wonderful staff.  Momma very happy.
Finding dinner in the immediate area – not so much.  So we ate in the hotel dining room and it was fantastic.  The staff became enchanted with the kids and delivered four HUGE sundaes to the table after dinner. 

Quote of the Day:
Audrey, to the bellman in Indianapolis, who caught up to us at the hotel elevator, with his empty cart.  “My mom doesn’t like to use you, because she doesn’t want to tip you.”  Will I ever learn?  Do not tell this child anything you don’t want repeated!  She lost her swimming privileges over that one.


 
The Lobby of the Indianapolis Children's Museum

 
Working for their dinner!

 
A rare moment of peaceful coexistence for Frick & Frack

 
Dessert!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment