Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 18 - July 14, 2013


Day 18 – July 14, 2013
Albuquerque NM – Oklahoma City, OK

560 miles/8 hours 15 minutes
Temperature – 100 degrees leaving NM, but at one point 62 degrees (in the rain) in Western Oklahoma

Marriott Courtyard Oklahoma City North, Room 108

LOOOONNNG Day!  Wowza.  We left Albuquerque at 8:20 A.M. and pulled onto Route 66 in Amarillo, TX about 12:30, with the Rolling Stones singing “Get your kicks, on route 66…”.  Trip Advisor had declared this as a "top ten thing to do" in Amarillo.  It’s supposed to be a step back in time, to the glory days of Route 66, with shops, antique stores and restaurants.  Wha-wha?  Seriously I couldn’t believe how dilapidated and depressing it was.  The only thing that appeared to be open was a bar that had about 500 motorcycles out front.  I was convinced that we were in the wrong place, until we came upon a sign indicating that we were leaving the Historic Route 66 in Amarillo.  Total buzz kill.  I’ve often daydreamed about taking Rout 66 from Chicago to LA and seeing the cool sights.  Sadly, I think it’s no longer possible.

I kept on trucking, heading east across the panhandle of Northern Texas.  Let me tell you – those are some WIDE OPEN SPACES!  Incredible.  After we crossed into Oklahoma, the skies became very ominous.  I was more than a little nervous since we were in tornado country.   At one point, it literally looked like I was driving into Hell.  Adding to my uneasy feeling, there was absolutely no cell coverage.
We made it safely to Oklahoma City and did a quick visit to the capitol building.  Being Sunday, we couldn’t get inside, which was just as well.  Tensions in the Smith Mobile were high and the car itself seemed tired.  I think this will be her last summer.  She literally is snapping at me - I turn, she squawks.  I fear I’ve put her through too much.   It was a bit of a trying day.  Cammy was as whinny as I’ve ever seen him and Aud and Hunter were very combative.  Bear was the only well behaved one and I believe he’s feeling better!

We went to Longhorn for dinner and everyone ate well.  Bear even walked on the wild side – eating half a filet, in addition to his grilled cheese.  As I drove back to the hotel, I saw a Barnes and Noble.  For the record, I haven’t been in a bookstore in two months!  It was time to go to my happy place.  It worked!!!!  I bought some books with happy covers that I want to read, if and when I have some down time.  Thank you Jen!  The kids decompressed too.  Bear was in heaven reading his favorites, while Hunter checked out the magazines.  Aud planted herself in front of a Nook and Camden perused the toys, making his birthday wish list.

Quote of the day:
Camden, as we were driving down Route 66, “Are we in Radiator Springs?”

Audrey:  “Ah, I know things aren’t exactly going well, but I’m here to tell you that Camden has locked himself in the bathroom stall, (whispering) 'in the ladies room.'  He says he can’t get out without your help.”  Apparently he forgot how he used to crawl from stall to stall, regardless of whom was occupying them!

 
Nothing going on, on Route 66.



 
Texas Panhandle
 

 
Oklahoma State Capitol


 
See - not happy:(.

 
Books = happy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment