Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 20 - July 16, 2013


Day 20 – July 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO – Jefferson City, MO - St. Louis, MO

296 miles/ 4 hours, 15 minutes
Temperature – 93 degrees

St. Louis Airport Marriott, Rm 6206

I set the alarm for 6 a.m., determined to hit the gym.  But when that alarm sounded, I turned it off and went back to sleep.  I don’t know why.  In Arizona, I got up every day at 6 a.m., but for the last few days our mornings have been slow.  Maybe the time zones?  I don’t know, but another day without exercise.
We made it to the Truman Library by 9:30.  As we pulled up, I could tell it was going to be better than Eisenhower’s.  Poor Ike, because it was.  Truman's library is much more up-to-date, with a very modern design, cool displays and lots of video footage.  Some of the videos were interactive, where the kids could answer questions about what they’d do, if they had the same political problems as Truman.  It was funny to see their answers.  They also had a dress-up section and the kids designed their own campaign buttons.  I actually learned quite a bit.  Of course I (vaguely) remember learning about the Truman Doctrine, The Marshall Plan and the dividing up of Germany post WWI, but after today, I feel like I really get it.  Warning: you may want to steer clear of me at the next cocktail party.  Also, and perhaps I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I didn’t really know all the details regarding the declaration (and recognition) of a Jewish State in Palestine.  I knew Israel was formed after the war, but I had no idea that Britain had occupied the area and gave it up because the country was broke from WWII.  Truman’s endorsement was huge and the museum alluded that this decision was probably based on his need for votes in the 1948 election.  I found it extremely surprising that they would even hint at that!  Honestly, I think my high school American History class skated over this particular topic (or I was daydreaming in class).

We paid our respects at Truman’s gravesite and then visited to the Truman home.  Independence is a very quaint and bustling town, with lots of traffic on the square.
Then we headed east to Jefferson City.  Interstate 70 runs directly from KC to St. Louis and Jefferson City is an hour-long roundtrip detour.  I almost skipped it, but that’s what I did two years ago and I didn’t want to wimp out again.  I’m glad I went for it, because the capitol was very impressive.  We had our first glimpse as we crossed the Missouri River, into downtown Jefferson City - we could see the rotunda above all the trees.  It was kind of a “wow” moment.  Very impressive.  Inside was even more amazing.  Truly the prettiest capitol I’ve seen so far.  There were many monuments and statues dedicated to Thomas Jefferson (because of the Louisiana Purchase).  Additionally, the Civil War is prominently represented throughout the capitol and the museum through paintings, statues and displays.

Then we high-tailed it to St. Louis.  I decided to stay outside the city, since we’ve done the downtown area and I wanted avoid the “event” of a downtown city hotel.  I'm not sure I could’ve handled seeing the bellmen’s faces, when two weeks of dirty clothes fell out of the back as they opened the hatch.  So we’re at the airport Marriott which is a total throwback property.  I love it!  Very art deco Mad Men style.  I half expected Don Draper and some stewardess to stroll past me. 
The kids are swimming in the pool, and I’m seriously considering room service and a movie.  We’ve earned it.  Tomorrow is our last road trip destination before returning to Michigan.  I’ve decided to pick a kid-friendly activity.  They’re all done with state capitol buildings and presidential libraries.  I can’t imagine why?!  Okay, maybe I can…

Quote of the day:
Camden:  “I love you, too.  That’s all I got.”   His response to my “I love you.”

 
 
Truman Library
 
 
 
The Truman gravesites.
 
 
Bear...thrilled.
 
 
Bear looking handsome.
 
 
Truman's Oval Office.
 
 
The Truman home - the "Summer Whitehouse"
 
 
The Missouri State Capitol
 
 
Our retro Marriott.


 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I had one of my birthday parties (maybe my tenth?) at the airport Marriott in St. Louis. That was the trend at the time. Six or eight girls in a hotel room watching movies and getting room service (after hanging out in the pool and the steam room, of course). Mom decompressing in the adjoining room. Hope you got that room service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did get the room service and it was great. You just gave me an idea for my daughter's birthday!

    ReplyDelete