Day 16
June 15, 2011
We took our time in the morning, since we had a short drive to Memphis. We ate breakfast at the Whole Foods Market and stocked up on snacks. Two hours later, we arrived in Memphis, after crossing the Mississippi for the second time of our road trip.
I'd booked a Marriott hotel downtown, but once I got there, I kept driving...it looked scary. Actually, all of downtown did.
We ended up at the Airport Courtyard, which had been slammed on Trip Advisor. They were on the money. The woman who checked me in was the worst! The hotel was surrounded by an electric security fence & was in serious need of renovations. But whatever, we were going to Graceland:)!
I loved Graceland. I've read so many books and seen so many Elvis movies, I was in heaven. For all the warnings that it’s "small", I thought it was pretty cool (especially when you consider the time period in which the house was built and inhabited). The kids were great and Hunter & Audrey loved it! The headphones for the audio tour helped. They all got rewarded with ice-cream at the Elvis ice-cream shop:)!
Our hotel was in an unsafe area - very few dinner options. I ended up driving 20 miles to a commercial/retail area. We had a nice dinner at Ruby Tuesday. The kids made me keep telling them stories about when they were babies. It was fun, until I ran out of stories:)!
Little Rock - Memphis, TN
157 miles/2 hours, 50 minutes***
Memphis Airport Courtyard by Marriott
No comments:
Post a Comment