Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Monday, June 9, 2014

Roosevelts and Bathroom Humor

Day 11 – June 7, 2014
Poughkeepsie, NY – Albany, NY
85 miles/1.5 hours

We went back to Hyde Park first thing in the morning, to discover and learn all things Roosevelt.  Our first stop was Val Kill, the home of Eleanor Roosevelt.  It’s a surprisingly modest dwelling, but charming just the same.  It’s the only National Historical Site in the country that’s dedicated to a first lady.  It took a while for this to happen, but eventually the National Park Service (NPS) agreed to the designation, based on all the historical figures who passed through Eleanor’s home over the years.  Franklin built the cottage for her as a refuge from his mother, who lived with them in the family estate, Spring Wood.  Both houses were on the huge family estate (which has been parceled off over the years).  She chose to live at Val Kill after FDR died, because she felt more at home there than at Spring Wood – and she’d also signed over the family house to the National Park Service, in accordance to FDR’s wishes.


The kids in front of Val Kill.

After Val Kill we toured Spring Wood.   The home is located on the Hudson River and is gorgeous and grand, yet surprisingly homey once you’re inside.  FDR was born in the home and both he and Eleanor are buried on the property.  His presidential library, which was the first one, is located on the estate.  The library is also the only one to have been open while a president was still in office.  He used the library as his official office whenever he was at Spring Wood.


Spring Wood



View of the Hudson Valley from Spring Wood.


View of the home from the back.


Gravesite

I love presidential libraries, because I learn so much more than I ever did in American History.  The kids were surprisingly good for me and I was stopped a few times by people who told me how impressed they were with my children’s behavior.  Really?  They should have been at the pool last night!






We were done by 2 p.m. and honestly, even I was Roosevelt-ed-out.  We headed north to Albany and Dad.  The kids were so excited to see him (as was IJ).  He swam with them in the pool and then it was dinner time.

Rich found a “steak-house” on-line that was across the river.  As soon as we pulled up, I knew we were in trouble.   Always go with your gut instinct!  Although this time, I did not.  The venue was drab, the food was bad and the service was mediocre.  But I must tell you, I had the best and biggest laugh I’ve had in weeks – the kind that produces tears and stomach cramps.  I don’t know if I can adequately convey the comedy of the night – but I’m going to try.

Cammy has been particularly funny this trip, coming up with unexpectedly witty one liners.  Well, he had to go to the bathroom “real bad” and was jumping up and down as he declared his need.  Rich had already been to the bathroom with the twins and Uncle Mark was certainly not going to do it. We could see the men’s room (a single person room) and he ran off to do his business.  He was back in two minutes with news.  He announced in his cute little by voice, which is a bit too loud at times (this being one), that the bathroom was full of toilet water and pee. 

Excuse me? 

“In the toilet, right?”  I asked. 

“No!  There’s toilet water and pee all over the floor and I had to stand in it, to use the bathroom!” 

He was in flip flops.  I wish you could have seen Rich’s face!  Adding to the scene were the curious stares of the other patrons who were eavesdropping.  Believe me, everyone heard what was going on.  I lost it - laughing.  I had to cover my face, because Rich was so appalled and mortified.  Welcome to life on the road Buddy.

We tried to shush Cammy and inquired if he was the one who caused the overflow. 

He loudly stated, “No!  I went in there and there was toilet water and pee – everywhere!”

I laughed harder, because now Uncle Mark had his mouth open, Rich was squirming and Hunter and Audrey were starting to laugh.  Check please!  Camden manage to tell everyone who walked by what happened – and then when he saw a grumpy man walk by with a mop he said, “I guess he’s going to clean up the toilet water and pee!”


Rich threw me his credit card as I dissolved into more uncontrollable giggles and then he took the kids outside.  Daddy’s leaving o a jet plane tomorrow…



2 comments:

  1. It's the one time no one can accuse me of being the cause of the overflow in the men's room! Uncle Mark was safe this time. Fun time.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete