Road Warrior Momma

Road Warrior Momma

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Break 2013, Days 1-3


Spring Break Day 1-3

ATL – Sarasota /560 miles, 8 hours

March 27-29, 2013

I departed ATL with Bear, Aud & Cammy around 1p.m.  It was so cute.  When we left Bear’s school, I asked him where we’re going and he replied, “Road trip.”  Love it.

With the exception of a half hour hold up, due to road construction north of Macon, it was a pretty good drive.  I almost think I should have pushed it and kept going to Sarasota, but I had mercy on the kids.  I stopped in Valdosta, after checking in at the Courtyard, went to Chili’s (yuck) for dinner.  I was tired.  It had been a long week.  So at 8 p.m., I climbed into bed with the kids and we watched Enchanted.  I love that movie.  We all fell asleep early, except for Bear, who was up till midnight.  I think he was really missing Hunter.  It was his first time on the road without his twin.

The next morning we were heading south by 8:30.  Other than a huge tire remnant landing on the hood of my car – scared me to death! – it was an easy drive.  The trouble was in Sarasota, because you would not believe the traffic.  Unbelievable.  It took about 45 minutes to get from I75 to Marcie’s house (roughly 10 miles).  Once at Marcie’s, I noticed that Cammy didn’t quite seem himself.  When we went down the street to see Marcie’s mom (Nana Jean), he fell asleep in my arms.  Uh-oh. 

We went to lunch with Jean, at The Boatyard, which is on the intercostal.  Oysters, sangria and boats cruising by ...almost heaven, except for the fact that it was windy and the temperature was in the 60’s.  Brrr.

After lunch, it was very apparent that poor little Cammy was not well.  He had a very high fever.  Not good.  Tylenol and a nap for Cammy, while Marcie and I hung out with the kids, outside - freezing!   We fed everyone a late dinner and then watched the basketball games.  Cammy’s fever wouldn’t abate and I started to panic a little.  At one point it was 103, and the Tylenol and Motrin didn’t seem to be helping.  I don’t like fevers.

After a fitful sleep, in which I woke up many times to check on Cammy, I knew a doctor’s visit was in order.  First thing in the morning, I took him to an urgent care, where they diagnosed him with an ear infection.   However, getting the prescription from a crazy busy Publix Pharmacy, which was on the corner of an incredibly congested intersection (that offered direct access to Siesta Key), well that wasn’t easy.  Wow, I forgot how crazy “season” can be, in Florida!  It took over an hour – and this included the 1 mile drive back to Marcie’s.

The good news is that the temperature has begun to rise!  Although the sun was burning bright, it didn’t warm the pool water very much (65 degrees), but it didn’t stop Bear.  After administering antibiotics and Motrin, I donned a swimsuit and hit Marcie’s roof for a little sunbathing…just a little.

Hunter and Rich are currently in route to Sarasota, so the family will be reunited.  We’re planning a Nash-Smith Happy Hour at the beach and then a Good Friday dinner of pizza and salad, while watching the Gators (Rich, Hunter & Audrey) play FGSU (the rest of us).  Good Times!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment