Day 14 – June 11, 2012
Dennis Port, Ma – Quincy, MA
72 miles/1 hr, 45 minutes
We were up early….5a.mish…..and it was very bright, I guess it was because of being so far north & east. Kids were not happy (theme for the dayJ). Regardless, we were on the highway (with coffee in hand) by 6:45a.m.
But first, a brief explanation of my encounter from last night. When we checked in on Friday, I was reading the motel literature and noticed that it was owned by the Hart Family. Bells went off…I knew them, or more accurately, my parents did. Long story short, a few inquiries to various employees, led me to the Ocean House (adjacent restaurant, which was where we ate last night). Sure enough…there was Janet Hart, who baby sat me during the July 4th Bicentennial, while my parents were partying at the Chatham Wayside Inn’s pool party. I hadn’t seen her in 35 years. Anyway, besides lots of Cape Cod gossip…turns out she has a 23 year old son with autism…so there was a lot to talk about.
We arrived at the Adams National Park by 8:30, so we got on the first tour. We got to see the birth places of both John Adams and his son, John Quincy; as well as the “Old House,” where four generations of the Adams family lived, from 1788 until 1927. It was very cool and even more informative. Then we had to drop Rich at the hotel, because work was”calling.” There was a small moment of chaos when my little warriors (Benedict Arnolds) revolted…they saw the hotel and thought, TV and pool time. No….Freedom Trail, you little spoiled traitors. They were not pleased.
We started at Bunker Hill…some of us climbed all the way to the top…294 steps!...of the monument. One of us bailed at step 40 (Audrey…but you did not read it here…I promised her I wouldn’t blog itJ). She hung with the 2 Park Rangers (female). And I chased the twins to the top (I could hear them, but not see them, spiral staircase). Camden begged me to “Hold him”’ but I couldn’t do it. I was breathing hard with the climb and then at the top…we had one quick look, before the twins headed back down. Out of guilt, I carried Cammy all the way down…which slowed me a bit. At the bottom, B&H literally were laying on the ground and Audrey was gloating over making the right choice (but you didn’t read that here). My legs shook for an hour.
Next stop, USS Constitution, which was closed, for no explanation.
Then I drove to the Old North Church…and had some parking issues, which I will spare you. But we eventually found something and headed out with map in hand and somehow…literally...ended up in the middle of a European Tour group. Seriously, we were sitting in the North Church and the kids were like, “I don’t understand”…and I was like…""Shush! Liste!" Then I realized that the man was not speaking English (or Spanish or French)…we were out of there and the kids used it against me in every other venue! “We’re not going in there, we won’t understand.”
So…Faneuil Hall, ice cream break at Quincy Market, the Old State House, Park Street Church (and Paul revere’s grave, which we saw last time), the Massachusetts State House (while walking up hill...all four where whining & complaining, it was pah-thetic!...I reminded them that I was older than all their ages combined (Holy Mother of God)...MAN UP! & finally, Mr. Revere’s house. They somehow ralliedJ!
We made it back home by 5. (Awful!!!!!) dinner at Legal Seafood…trying to go to bed early, not looking good. Rich is leaving at 4:30 tomorrowL.
Rich in front of the birth place of one of his heroes, John Adams.
The Adams Family Home, "The Old House"
Bunker Hill Monument
View from the top of Bunker Hill
Our Consolation prize, for the closed USS Constittution:(
USS Constitution
Paul Revere Statue
Inside the Old North Church, "One if by land, two if by sea"
Faneuil Hall
Cheers, "Where everone knows your name;)"
The Old State House
The site of the Boston Massacre
Massachusets State Capitol
Paul Revere's House...butt up to a condo:)!
No comments:
Post a Comment