Day 22, June 20, 2018
South Lake Tahoe, CA – Sacramento, CA
106 Miles/4 hours
Dad had a conference call this morning and mom really had
some work to do – real work and road trip work. Then we had to say good bye to
Kelly, which was hard. There was a little bit of boo-hooing, but then I took
the kids to the pool while Rich had a conference call.
The kids were really good at the pool, for my kids – lol. We
had a few stares, but since I knew we’d only be there for an hour, I didn’t
really get on them for their rambunctiousness. And Barrett was really having
fun, so I wasn’t gonna rock that boat.
We were packed, loaded and westbound and down by 11:45. By
12:15 we were stopped in construction traffic, were we stayed for one and a
half hours. I kid you not. Can you say ssssuuuuccckkksss????
We finally arrived in Sacramento around 4:00 P.M. Fortunately,
our hotel was downtown – and we were able to run over to the capitol before it
closed. The walk was easy, downtown was clean, and the capitol ground are gorgeous.
We encountered some peaceful protesters. I’m not 100% sure what they were
protesting, but I assume, given the very limited news coverage I’ve subjected
myself to the last few days, it was immigration.
We entered the Capitol and had to pass through a metal
detector. It wasn’t surprising, given the state of affairs, and we were in
California, but after the openness we experience in Nevada, Oregon, Washington,
and Montana – it was a bummer. And get this – Cammy got stopped. My boy was packing
a slingshot and a pocket full of rocks. We had to declare and sign-in his
weapons, to be picked up upon our departure. One of the capitol police
commented that he understood, “The young gentleman is just expressing his 2nd
amendment rights.”
Capitol is beautiful, but we did get there late, and were
unable to view the Senate or House assembly. We did mange to see the Governor
portraits. I found it interesting that Arnold’s was a photograph, not a
painting?! I need to investigate that. The following comment comes from someone
who has fully reconciled herself to the fact she is an Independent. The statue
of Ronald Reagan, the only Governor from California who became president (for 8
years), was in the basement of the capitol.
Later it was pointed out to me, by my hubby, that all the
cartoon caricatures that were framed in both our rooms were anti-Republicans.
Ouch. I’m no longer a Republican but still… We’re staying in a national chain,
in a capitol city that certainly has its fair number of republicans. No?
Long day, given the traffic mess, so we ate a nice dinner in
the hotel and went to bed early.
Above: Our last views of Tahoe.
View from our hotel room. Downtown Sacramento is pretty!






No comments:
Post a Comment