Day 27 – June 23, 2014
Concord, NH – Middlebury Vermont
175 miles/4 ½ hours
We took another circuitous route through New Hampshire back
roads, to get to southern Vermont. We
were headed to Manchester, so we drove through the Green Mountains – and it was
beautiful. We were officially off the
grid for a while, as well. No cell
service.
Manchester, Vermont is precious. Oh, be-still my heart. Think of every movie set in a small New
England town – and Manchester is it, come to life. I fell in love and this is
it, call the realtor! The grass is plush, manicured and the color of emeralds. The
mountain views took my breath away. The
New England architecture conjured up memories of my childhood. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen houses painted
a crisper, brighter white. The glossy black
and green shutters sparkled on the alabaster dwellings. There were vibrant red and purple flowers everywhere. Main Street is lined with shops and
cafes. I didn’t see any structures that
were worn down and there wasn’t any litter or graffiti. I could smell the clean mountain air and the
fresh grass – it was exhilarating. I’m
telling you, I felt like I was home.
We visited the Lincoln family home, Hildene. As you can see from the pictures, it is very
grand and beautiful. The house was built
by Robert Todd Lincoln in 1905, for his family.
RTL was President Lincoln’s oldest son, a lawyer, our Secretary of War under
President Arthur and a Pullman Railway executive. The house, the gardens and the views are
amazing. Of all the historic homes that
we’ve toured, this is my favorite.
With a heavy heart, I pointed the car northward, to
Middlebury, VT. As we were traveling we
passed a Maple Museum and on impulse, I stopped. The Maple Museum was okay. I think you really have to be interested in
the history and manufacturing of maple syrup to fully enjoy it. The ladies who ran the facility were
wonderful and we bought a big (and expensive) jug of authentic Vermont Maple
Syrup.
Middlebury is a charming little town (home of Middlebury College) and it’s almost, but not quite, as charming as Manchester. We did some pool time and then visited the village. Unfortunately, almost all the businesses closed at 5:30 p.m., so we couldn’t explore any of the bookstores or gift shops. We had dinner at a Middlebury staple (according to the hotel’s restaurant guide), Fire & Ice, and it was fine. For my Naples peeps, to was very reminiscent of the Pewter Mug (although I haven’t been there since it reopened). Loved the décor, but the menu didn’t appeal to me – although to be fair, I’m getting sick of restaurants!
Funny story from the restaurant. A child fell off his chair and started crying
at the table next to ours. Camden growled
a little and said, “Two things mom. One,
it’s crying. Two, I don’t think we’re
going to have a quiet dinner.” I was shocked
by how indignant he was. Insert the
proverbial pot and kettle here. Then,
when the mother picked up the crying child and took him out of the dining room,
Camden continued with hopeful curiosity, “Um, unless they’re leaving?”
Back in the room we once again vegged out to Full House. It's become a road trip ritual. I think by the
time we get home, we’ll have watched the whole series!





No comments:
Post a Comment