July 27th, 2012
Cumming- GA – Charleston, NC
375 miles, 6 ½ hours
Embassy Suites Historic Charleston
We got off to a rough stuff. Car was loaded and we couldn’t find Cammy’s sandals. After looking everywhere (including the backyard, with a flashlight), we gave up and told him to grab another pair – he found lots of shoes, but not one that both fit and/or had a match! I gave one more look in his room….and found them behind his toy chest! Not a good sign.
We hit the road, with Willie singing at 6:15. Once we made it out of the metro area, we planned to stop for breakfast (coffee!). Well, east of ATL, we were not lucky enough to have a Starbucks on every exit. God bless Rich (who does not drink coffee), he patiently participated in the Starbucks hunt. To add insult to his injury….the kids loudly and affirmatively rejected his suggestions of Waffle House, Burger King or McDonalds. They wanted Starbucks tooJ. It’s costly, but I have to admit, I was proud.
We stopped in North Charleston for lunch (quick one at Panera Bread) and to take pictures of the hotel that Big A managed when the Chamblins lived here. I was with them, in Charleston, when I found out I was going to be a momma for the first time! If I knew then, what I know now…ha,ha.
We made it to the hotel around 12:30 and they said they wouldn’t be ready for us, until 3p.m. So we crossed the bridge to Mount Pleasant …eventually landing on Sullivan’s Island, where we were lucky enough to find a parking space, rather quickly. We all awkwardly changed into our swimsuits, in the car and hit the beach. It was beautiful. It’s been decades since I’d been to a beach in the Carolina’s and it was perfect. The water was unbelievably warm. There was a huge sand bar too, not too far out. We managed to get all the kids out on it, so that was cool. The temperature was perfect. It was well into the 90’s, but with the ocean breeze, it was very tolerable. (Although, Rich begs to differ).
We got back to the hotel about 4….and the room is a bummer. This mini-getaway was a last minute decision and our destination was determined solely based on availability. Charleston was the closest we could get to a beach, in less than six hours (and the beach is 30 minutes away). Embassy Suites had suites available…but no windows. Have you ever? I called the hotel to ask what that meant – and they said exactly what it says…no windows. Apparently the hotel was the original Citadel, which I admit is cool…but those poor boys had to live in dorms, with no windows? I asked if it was creepy and they said no. The girl said if you’re going to be in the room the whole time, it might bother you….but they don’t get many complaints. Well, beggars can’t be choosers, so I booked it (after asking if I could be on wait list for windows). Besides, I’ve certainly worked in a few offices with no windows, right?
Cute room, but I could not shake the feeling that we were in a dungeon! I just couldn’t. And….the room smelled a little musty. No ventilation! We took quick showers and then hit the streets, looking for dinner. We were in a great location, one block off of King Street, which was lined with cool shops and restaurants. Of course, finding a restaurant that has a kid’s menus, a full bar, and caters to both my agrarian tastes and Riches carnivorous ones….plus fresh seafood…well that presents more of a challenge. And lest we forget….it was in the 90’s…hot, hot, hot. Whenever we walk more than one block, you can guarantee two things are going to happen: 1) Audrey is going to complain that her feet hurt & 2) Cammy is going to say, “Hold me.” Usually I can’t resist, but it was in the 90’s! so he was out of luck.
Eventually we ended up at a Coast, a seafood restaurant, with lots of options for the kids. We had a wonderful dinner and the kids were great. We made it back in time to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics! I loved it, but was the only one who made it to the endJ. Planning on going to Fort Sumter tomorrow.
Up & out early
Big A's old school hotel - turn of the century;)
Those are the kids out on the sandbar
Cammy
Bear
She swiped my glasses & pretty much wore them all night!
Cammy & Hunter
Fun night
Kids torturing the hotel's birds.

No comments:
Post a Comment